Mountie sports, but not exclusively.

Friday, September 4, 2009

Raiders of the lost Arco


I had the strangest trip to the gas station I might ever have. As I was pulling into my local Arco and slowly made my way to pump number 6, the lips of an angry man at the pump next to me blessed my cracked open windowsill.
Scared me a little bit. He had a really aggressive tone, but within all his yelling I happened to catch him say the word "Raiders" and I said to myself, "Oh. Makes sense," and parked my car.
What I had originally thought was a gas station, was apparently a mirage that tricked me and sucked me into the Black Hole. All of a sudden, I was in the middle of 3-way holy war between the angry gentleman next to me, a Green Bay Packers fan, and a man who didn't seem to say much. He was kind of just there, laughing and making quick remarks that seemed to anger the Raider fan.
So I got out of my car, stretched, dropped my keys and tried to listen in on the argument.
Unfortunately I have no idea how it started, but the enraged Raider fan next to me started taking indirect shots at Brett Favre, saying, "Packers haven't had a real quarterback since Bart Starr!"
Ouch.
Didn't hear what the guy across the station was saying because the steam coming out of the Raider fan's ears was impairing my already fickle hearing.
As I walked away to pay inside, I heard screams from the Raider fan, "1967 was the only true championship!" That told me he was an old school guy. In other words, I better pump my gas and get the hell out before he blows up the gas station like Robocop.
I came back out, and all three were still there.
This time the Raider fan threw out a, "At least we had Bo Jackson! Man could that guy run. He was the greatest player the league has ever seen!"
At that point I'm laughing inside. He didn't even know what to argue. It was sad. It's like San Francisco Giants fans try to argue, "Remember Bobby Thompson's home run against the Dodgers in 1951!" Umm, that's cool.
Or when they say, "At least we had Barry Bonds!" Congratulations! Good luck with that argument. (I love when "big headed" Barry Bonds fans "take shots" at Dodger fans and try to "inject" us with stupid arguments and "cheat" us out of intelligent thought) ;)
The last thing I heard the Raider fan say was, "Al Davis needs to die!"
Double Ouch.
80-year-old Al Davis, the Raider owner with Freddy Krueger-like features. I know he hasn't done that great of a job with the organization, but goodness, death?
The PACKER FAN then said, "Oh come on man, he don't have to die."
And to remove any chance of confusion, the Raider fan said, "No! He needs to die, die, die!"
This man had so much anger inside him that he started taking shots at his own team.
Anyway, I filled up half of my tank (Dam gas prices. The worth of a 20 dollar bill nowadays) and was ready to go.
The Packer fan and random instigator guy left.
As I drove away, from the corner of my eye I saw the Raider fan start talking to a lady with aggressive hand gestures. Guess he had more to say.
Hope that lady knew him.

1 comment:

  1. what an insane Raiders fan? There's something you don't ever see...NOT!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Counter

Blog Buddies

About Me

My photo
Former Editor-in-Chief for the Mt. SAC online newspaper, Mountiewire.com. I love all sports, so I'm really going to write about whatever sports topic interests me. If you're looking for stats, look for a stat sheet. If you're looking for game stories, read the Times. This is an interesting perspective on interesting stories. Period.