Mountie sports, but not exclusively.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Top 5: Flashback of Japanese Influences


Ichiro Suzuki of the Seattle Mariners recorded his 2,000th career hit in a MLB uniform today. I have always been a great supporter of Ichiro and am happy for his milestone hit. This personal record for the "Japanese Samurai" has sparked me to think of my top 5 Japanese influences and moments growing up. See if you remember any of these:


5. Pokemon
In my generation, Pokemon was one of the biggest phenomenons to hit the United States. Before Yu Gi Oh cards were the hot gift to get your kids, Pokemon cards were the big ticket to pleasing your kids. Parents will concur. I'm sure a lot of them remember having to scramble for these cute little Pocket Monsters.


4. Joe Isuzu
When the Japanese car makers, Isuzu, started making a push for more attention, they hired a goofy looking actor named named David Leisure to do commercials, and Joe Isuzu was born. His character was a car salesman who made outrageous claims about how amazing Izusu was, and made claims like, you can buy a car for 6 dollars, or buy an Island with the money you save. Growing up, there was not one commercial break that didn't feature Joe Isuzu at some point and as a kid I thought they were hilarious.



3. Hideo Nomo
Any true Dodgers fan will remember Nomo Mania. Maybe not quite like the manias of Hulk or Fernando, but as soon as this man touched U.S. soil, media cameras drowned him in a way that not even A-Rod will ever feel. Not only were local media on him, but media from all over the U.S. AND Japan followed his every move. Not only was he able to control the media, but he had an amazing career with the Dodgers. Nomo was known as the "Tornado" for the way he'd twist his body before he pitched the ball. He filled stadiums and helped put Japanese baseball on the map. I'll never forget his no-hit performance at hitter friendly Coors Field against the Rockies, nor the way he'd contort his body in a confusing matter and fooled opposing hitters. He's an L.A. legend and his success helped pave the way into the league for players like Ichiro and Daisuke Matsuzaka.

2. Haikus
First poems I learned

Influenced love of writing

Owe a lot to them


1.Super Mario Brothers
My number one Japanese-American influence was the Super Mario Brothers video game created by Nintendo.
Some of the best times I had as a kid were while playing this silly little video game. Had a lot of great times with old friends, built strong friendships and learned to have fun with other people. I grew up surrounded by adults, and Super Mario Brothers was a game that helped kids, including myself, bond with other kids. To me, there will never be a better game that Super Mario Brothers.


Some of these things might sound silly to you, but they were truly memorable things in my life, and without a doubt had tons of influence on millions of people.
I write this in sort of a nostalgic way, hoping that it'll take some of you back to the good ol' days.

Congratulations Ichiro. And thank you.

3 comments:

  1. The Return of the DorkSeptember 14, 2009 at 4:39 PM

    I can't believe I'm wasting my time writing comments on your blog.........I should be getting buff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! XD
    Pokemon was a biggy for me too. Although the DDR and ITG phase was also pretty big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. yeah, I wish I had gotten more into the DDR times. I've actually only played it a handful of times. If I had really gotten into it I would have just set myself up for a bad youtube video haha.

    ReplyDelete

Counter

Blog Buddies

About Me

My photo
Former Editor-in-Chief for the Mt. SAC online newspaper, Mountiewire.com. I love all sports, so I'm really going to write about whatever sports topic interests me. If you're looking for stats, look for a stat sheet. If you're looking for game stories, read the Times. This is an interesting perspective on interesting stories. Period.