Mountie sports, but not exclusively.

Friday, October 9, 2009

The new NBA refs






















I was watching tonight's Laker game on KCAL and got to take a look at some of the new referees that the NBA is using.

For those who don't know, the NBA referees are in a lockout this season as they failed to reach a contract agreement with the NBA.

So basically the NBA is running Scab refs out there like a Ralph's union protest.

It's only preseason, but I kind of like what I see from the refs so far. They're fighting for a full-time job and are not messing around. The players might not like it, but I saw some unusually fair calls.

Kobe Bryant actaully got called for palming the ball (although it could have been called the whole game on everybody)

They weren't letting anyone get away with the wacky calls they usually get. It actually looked like the game was being played according to the rules.

Is it possible that we're going to watch game played the way it was intended? Before the Tim Donaghy scandal and before all the conspiracy theories arose, the game used to be fun to watch. Superstars weren't treated like babies and questionable calls were at a minimum. I really hope we can get back to that.

We'll see what happens once the regular season starts, but I think it's so refreshing to watch a game and real foul calls are being made instead of the ticky-tack fouls that the old refs used to give to the superstars.

As a Laker fan, I always watch Kobe get hacked and not get a call, so I'm looking to see how many times Kobe goes to the free-throw line this season if the refs actually call the fouls appropriately.

I don't think it's good that the old refs couldn't come to an agreement, but I think I can get used to the new faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter

Blog Buddies

About Me

My photo
Former Editor-in-Chief for the Mt. SAC online newspaper, Mountiewire.com. I love all sports, so I'm really going to write about whatever sports topic interests me. If you're looking for stats, look for a stat sheet. If you're looking for game stories, read the Times. This is an interesting perspective on interesting stories. Period.